House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) announced Republicans will introduce an updated version of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America” this fall.
At this year’s Republican House retreat in Ponte Vedra, party members focused on four themes they believe will resonate with voters in November. Their contract promises working for a strong economy, a safe nation, a future built on freedom and an accountable government.
The Daily Wire further reported:
McCarthy’s new agenda, the Commitment to America, started back in 2020 when he worked for months trying to form a bipartisan China Task Force, which Democrats ultimately refused to join. Republicans decided to move forward without any Democrat members and used the task force model — including members from different committees and parts of the conference — which ultimately yielded hundreds of policy recommendations.
At last year’s Republican House retreat in Orlando, McCarthy outlined the formation of seven task forces, including Jobs and the Economy; Future of American Freedoms; China Task Force; American Security, Big Tech, Censorship, and Data; Healthy Futures; and Energy, Climate, and Conservation.
The conference decided on four themes, including An Economy that’s Strong, a Nation that’s Safe, a Future that’s Built on Freedom, and a Government that’s Accountable. All of this happened while the task forces continued generating policy proposals for the agenda.
Under the first theme, An Economy that’s Strong, Republicans outlined the following:
- Fight Inflation and Lower the Cost of Living
- Curb wasteful government spending that is raising the price of groceries, gas, cars, and housing, and growing our national debt
- Increase take-home pay, create good-paying jobs, and bring stability to the economy through pro-growth tax and deregulatory policies
- Make America Energy Independent and Reduce Gas Prices
- Maximize production of reliable, cleaner, American-made energy and cut the permitting process time in half to reduce reliance on foreign countries, prevent rolling blackouts, and lower the cost of gas and utilities
- Strengthen the Supply Chain and End Dependence on China
- Move supply chains away from China, expand U.S. manufacturing, and enhance America’s economic competitiveness and cyber resiliency
Under the second theme, A Nation That’s Safe, Republicans outlined the following:
- Secure the Border and Combat Illegal Immigration
- Fully fund effective border enforcement strategies, infrastructure, and advanced technology to prevent illegal crossings and trafficking by cartels
- End catch-and-release loopholes, require legal status to get a job, and eliminate welfare incentives
- Reduce Crime and Protect Public Safety
- Support 200,000 more police officers through recruiting bonuses and oppose all efforts to defund the police
- Crack down on prosecutors and district attorneys who refuse to prosecute crimes, while permanently criminalizing all forms of illicit fentanyl
- Defend America’s National Security
- Support our troops, invest in an efficient, effective military, establish a Select Committee on China, and exercise peace through strength with our allies to counter increasing global threats
Under the third theme, A Future That’s Built on Freedom, Republicans outlined the following:
- Make Sure Every Student Can Succeed and Give Parents a Voice
- Advance the Parents’ Bill of Rights, recover lost learning from school closures, and expand parental choice so over a million more students can receive the education their parents know is best
- Defend fairness by ensuring that only women can compete in women’s sports
- Achieve Longer, Healthier Lives for Americans
- Personalize care to provide affordable options and better quality, delivered by trusted doctors
- Lower prices through transparency, choice, and competition, invest in lifesaving cures, and improve access to telemedicine
- Confront Big Tech and Demand Fairness
- Provide greater privacy and data security protections, equip parents with more tools to keep their kids safe online, and stop companies from putting politics ahead of people
Under the fourth theme, A Government That’s Accountable, Republicans outlined the following:
- Preserve Our Constitutional Freedoms
- Uphold free speech, protect the lives of unborn children and their mothers, guarantee religious freedom, and safeguard the Second Amendment
- Hold Washington Accountable
- Conduct rigorous oversight to rein in government abuse of power and corruption, provide real transparency, and require the White House to answer for its incompetence at home and abroad
- Save and strengthen Social Security and Medicare
- Restore the People’s Voice
- End special treatment for Members of Congress by repealing proxy voting, and increase accountability in the election process through voter ID, accurate voter rolls, and observer access
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.