A former top FBI official said the warrant used to search former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence may be thrown out due to its scope.
On Monday, a federal judged sided with Trump’s lawyers and issued an order approving a special master, or a neutral third-party, to review and take control of materials that were seized from Mar-a-Lago on Aug. 8.
“I think the government would be concerned … there’s concern that the search warrant itself was overly broad from the get-go,” former top FBI counterintelligence official Kevin Brock said in a Tuesday interview, noting that the warrant allowed for the government to look for every document that was generated during Trump’s tenure as president.
“That just seems too inexcusably overbroad,” Brock told Just the News. “Now there’s indications that they (the FBI) collected much more than they were authorized to collect.”
Brock, who was promoted by former FBI Director Robert Mueller in 2004, then suggested that because of its scope, the warrant “could be suppressed … and they would lose access to anything that was collected throughout the search as a fruit of the poisonous tree.”
Historically, Brock said FBI searches are based on warrants that are not “overly broad” and specify “what parts of the residence [that] can be searched.”
“You can only search those things where it’s reasonably expected you would find the type of evidence that you are looking for,” he continued to say in the interview.
A probable cause affidavit—that was heavily redacted by the Department of Justice—shows prosecutors believed there were classified materials inside Mar-a-Lago. The legal document, which was used to obtain the search warrant, was released last month.
The warrant shows that Trump is under investigation for possible Espionage Act violations and obstruction of justice. Trump has said the raid was politically motivated and designed to hurt his chances if he decides to again run for president.
Read the full story here.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.