Just the News’ John Solomon reported Tuesday that a male Afghan refugee leaving the base for the United States was found to have “blasting caps and other explosives materials in his carry-on luggage” during pre-flight screening.
Three American officials told the outlet that the refugee likely wasn’t engaged in terrorism; he was a contractor for the U.S. government in Afghanistan and had likely brought the materials on board when he was evacuated.
The outlet obtained a Transportation Security Administration summary of the incident.
“Screeners, including a member of the German military assisting the U.S. at the Air Force base in Germany, found five blasting caps, one igniter switch, a ‘def cord’ and one shock tube when the refugee was apprehended late Monday morning German time, according to officials and the TSA summary report,” Solomon wrote.
“TSA advised that during the physical search (full open) of the individuals baggage a German military member identified a suspicious item in the baggage,” the memo read.
Officials removed the explosives from the hangar and called an ordinance team to deal with them. The refugee was pulled from the line for his flight and the TSA would go on to exclude him from entering the United States.
“Subject has been moved to a ‘red list’ and will not travel to the U.
“Subject has been moved to a ‘red list’ and will not travel to the U.S.,” the memo read. Furthermore, air marshals were advised of the situation.
Solomon noted the incident occurred the same day Secretary of State Antony Blinken admitted the United States hadn’t been able to fully vet Afghan refugees before they were airlifted out.
“In our effort to get as many people out as fast as we can while we had the airport functioning, we focused on doing just that,” Blinken said, adding the State Department was “doing accountings on the back end as people arrive in the United States.”
“My expectation is we will have a breakdown of the numbers of people who left Afghanistan, including not just American citizens, but green card holders, [Special Immigrant Visa] applicants, SIV visa holders, Afghans at risk, those eligible for P-1 and P-2 visas,” Blinken said during a media briefing in Qatar, according to Fox News.
“All of that will be forthcoming in the days and weeks ahead as we’re able to break down the numbers.”
In reality, the lack of vetting proves we were fortunate to have just one major terror attack hit during the evacuation. If an individual could get blasting caps and an igniter cord onboard an airlift in Kabul, he could just as easily have gotten a live bomb on board — and taken down a plane.
Last week, The Associated Press reported on an internal State Department document seeking “urgent guidance” regarding Afghan men who arrived at an Army base in Wisconsin with young sexual assault victims they identified as their “wives.”
“Intake staff at Fort McCoy reported multiple cases of minor females who presented as ‘married’ to adult Afghan men, as well as polygamous families,” the document read. “Department of State has requested urgent guidance.”
In another document, girls at a transit site in Abu Dhabi made allegations older men raped them and forced them to marry in order to leave Afghanistan.
The Washigton Post reported:
“Many had minimal identification and did not appear to have worked closely with the United States as he had, serving as a translator and analyst,”
“They were ‘just people,’ he said, who took advantage of a disorderly evacuation to flee their turbulent country.”
“Nobody knows who was the good guy and who was the bad guy getting into the plane,” Mustafa, an Afghan refugee told the Post. “It’s a risky thing that I believe happened.”
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.